Jaisalmer, located in the western part of Rajasthan, is popular for its proximity to the heart of Thar desert. Though many people are contended viewing the marvellous Jaisalmer forts and monuments within the city, but there are others who just want to have their time out in the Jaisalmer sand dunes. To make such tours to the desert fun filled, many desert activities have come up in the Jaisalmer desert area. If you are an adventure loving person then there are plenty of adventure sports in Jaisalmer scopes waiting for you in the city of desert trips. Below are some must experience Jaisalmer desert activities for your next trip.
How to Reach?
Nearest Railway Station: Jaisalmer
Camel safari in Jaisalmer gives you the chance to explore the beauty of Thar desert while riding on a camel like royalty. It is the only place in India where you get an opportunity to see the isolated sand dunes and encounter the golden heritage of this region. Camel safari in Jaisalmer are organized by well trained guides who can speak fluent English. Their commentary will make your trip informational. The trips are mostly organized during the evening or late in the afternoon, so there is no fear of sun stroke and you also enjoy the extensive view of the city and outskirts during the sunset hours.
- Charges of Jaisalmer Camel Safari: Between Rs. 800-2,000 per person
- Areas Covered: Outskirts of Jaisalmer city
- Book at: Thar Camel Safari Jaisalmer, Jaisalmer Camel Safari
- Attractions: View the sand dunes, get into the heart of the desert, must watch the sunset.
Going to Jaisalmer and spending time among the beautiful sand dunes is an outstanding experience, especially when you stay in a Swiss desert tent which provides privacy with comfort in an undisturbed environment. Jaisalmer desert camps cater an unforgettable experience. The desert camp in Jaisalmer experience is highly recommended for vacationers and newly married couples who want to stay away from the typical commotion of the city. The Jaisalmer desert camps are laid out in the middle of the desert in a semi-circular way. Many recreational activities such as programs by local folk singers and musicians keep the guests entertained. You can also enjoy the traditional cuisine of Rajasthan and go for other activities like desert safari, dirt bike etc. during the camp stay.
- Jaisalmer desert camp Charges: Between Rs. 2,500-3,000 per person
- Location: Sam Sand Dunes (45 KM away from Jaisalmer)
- Book at: Accommodations for desert camping can be booked at Sam or through Rajputana Desert Camp, Madhav Desert Camp
- Attractions: Performances by local folk artists, food from traditional Rajasthani cuisine, sleeping under the stars.
Are you afraid of flying? Jaisalmer desert trip can help people of all age groups to get over their fear of heights with the Parasailing opportunities. As a part of this activity, parachutes are tied to a jeep (driven by a trained driver) and flown into air. The session is guided and overlooked by qualified Parasailing instructors. Jaisalmer is a worthy place for such sport due to its vast land and well built runways. Recommended time for Parasailing is between September to February.
- Jaisalmer Parasailing Charges: Between Rs. 1,500-2,000 per person
- Duration: 10-30 minutes
- Areas Covered: Thar Desert from air
- Book at: Golden Camp, Sky Ventures
- Attractions: Excitement of flying over vast fields of sand and getting panoramic view of the Thar Desert.
If you thought Dune bashing is a specialty of Dubai Desert Safari, then you are wrong. Jaisalmer is the best Dune Bashing destination in India. 4-5 meter high sand dunes in the outskirts of the Golden City are perfect spots to feel the excitement and enjoy the Jaisalmer desert safari in a SUV. Many travel agencies arrange such a Jaisalmer desert safari for tourists daily, where four people in Toyota Fortuner, Jeep or any other off road vehicle can ride with a well trained local driver and explore the exceptional beauty of sand dunes during the early evening hours. The ride mostly starts at 4 PM and your driver picks you up directly from the hotel. Dune Bashing is an amazing experience in which you not just discover the isolated land, but also feel the toughness of journey that is common for locals.
- Jaisalmer Dune Bashing Charges: Starting from Rs. 550 per person.
- Distance Covered: Area of around 15-20 KM is covered
- Book at: Camp Paradise, MHE Adventures
- Attractions: Standing in the middle of the Thar Desert, gliding through the sand dunes.
Para motoring is another popular aero sport which lets you fly with the desert birds and enjoy the gentle wind above the Thar Desert. The adventure flight gives you hawk’s eye view of the beautiful Jaisalmer city and nearby locations. You always stay under the observation of instructors and they make sure you glide only at a safe height. They also take your photos during the flight so that you can share this amazing Jaisalmer desert safari experience with others. A well trained pilot will accompany you and make sure all necessary safety measures are in place.
- Jaisalmer Para Motoring Charges: Between Rs. 2,500-3,000
- Duration: 10 to 30 minutes
- Book at: Camp Jaisalmer, Sky Ventures
- Attractions: Fly over the Thar desert like a free bird under the supervision of an expert
Jaisalmer is a not just strongly rooted in history, but also features remarkable natural beauty. It is the perfect place for vacationers to look for some action on sands.