To go on a vacation and get rejuvenated is one thing but to explore the beauty of the off-beat destinations is thrilling. Odisha has always been a hidden gem of natural beauty and the unexplored paradise for nature lovers. It has many distinctly unique features and every nature lover’s delight. Here is a list of some of the beautiful yet lesser-known wildlife sanctuaries for a perfect summer vacation.
- Satkosia Gorge Sanctuary: Enclosing the mighty gorge where the Mahanadi plunges into the Eastern Ghats, Satkosia Gorge Sanctuary is truly nature’s delight. The sanctuary attracts tourists for its endangered flora and fauna and is home to two of the endangered species of Crocodile- the Mugger and Ghariyal. Apart from that, visitors can also find traces of Elephants, Leopards, Hornbills, and Sloth Bears.
- Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary: Wonderful Biodiversity coupled with beautiful terrain and mangrove-dominated ecosystem. The National park is a part of India’s second largest Mangrove Jungle. Often known as the Crocodile Country, Bhitarkanika is also home to a large variety of Wildlife- right from Saltwater crocodile, White Crocodile to King Cobra and Indian Python. Bhitarkanika is an ideal destination to leave you enchanted by the natural beauty.
- Simlipal National Park: A part of the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserve since 2009, Simplipal National Park is a dreamland of nature and an irresistible destination. The major mammal that can be spotted here is the Royal Bengal Tigers, Asian Elephants, Leopards, Sambhar, Barking Deer, and Dancing Peacock. Spot a Barking Deer or a herd of Elephants crossing the rivulet or admire the beauty of Jorando waterfalls, adventure is waiting at every step in Simlipal for Nature enthusiasts.
- Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary: Located in close proximity to the Bhitarkanika National park, Garhirmatha is Odisha’s only Marine Sanctuary. A part of the Gahirmatha Beach, this Turtle Sanctuary is the breeding place for a large population of the Oliver Ridley Turtle. These Turtles travel all the way from the Pacific Ocean to breed on the coast of Gahirmatha. A one of its kind sanctuary in Odisha, Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary has a lot of fascinating experience to offer to its guests.
- Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary: Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the historic Sanctuaries of the State, as it is believed that State’s renowned freedom fighter took shelter in this dense forest. One can trace Tigers, Leopards, Hyena, and Indian Hare in this Sanctuary. The sanctuary is also home to the endangered species of four-horned antelope.
Enchanted with the beauty of these Sanctuaries? What are you waiting for pack your bag and set out for a natural expedition?