We should always remain thankful to our defence units and police department for the safety and security they bring to our life. Our Jawans, man India’s international borders amidst temperatures that are below freezing point! While the policemen in your vicinity guard you homes, helping you sleep without tensions on those chilly nights! With the Republic Day just around the corner we thought a post dedicated to the brave professionals of our nation and their selfless service would be well in place. Indian railways, in its own way, rewards the Defence and Police professionals for their service through some railway concession schemes. Let us today try and understand the nitty-gritty of these schemes.
BOOK TRAIN TICKETS
Defence Quota (DF)
The Defence quota is applicable for personnel from Indian Armed Forces (which includes the Army, Navy and Air Force). The paramillitary servicemen quota also falls under this broad category. Under this quota 2 seats are reserved, in most, trains across the nation. Tickets can be booked under the Defense Quota for official purposes such as relocation or movement of forces from one part of India to another. It can also be used by individual defence personnel while they are taking a trip back home or rejoining duty after their leave. To book tickets under this quota, the defence personnel in question has to approach the MCO (Movement Control Office) for the station with a duly filled booking form and show their original Indian Armed Forces identity card. In case of bulk booking, a defence staff can approach the MCO with an attested letter by supervising officer, booking forms and photocopies of identity cards for all travelers.
- Defence Concessions Concessions & Quota Applicable for: Military officers, cadets of the National Defence Academy or Air Force College or Naval Training Establishment, Junior Commissioned Officers, Warrant Officers, Chief Jetty Officers of the Navy, certain non-combatants in Defence Service, military pensioners journeying to attend Regimental Re-unions and members of the Military Nursing Services.
- Note: The booking or concession forms should be duly filled and signed by Supervising Officers as well as Railways issuing office.
Concessions for War Widows
To honor the ultimate sacrifice of our brave martyrs, Indian railways offers a list of benefits to the war widows. Any war widow traveling on Indian trains can avail a concession of 75% in Second and Sleeper classes. The same extent of concession (75% in Second and Sleeper classes) also applies for widows of Paramilitary personnel and other defence personnel killed in action against terrorists and extremists, I.P.K.F. Personnel killed in action in Sri Lanka and martyrs of Operation Vijay (in Kargil).
- Note: Concessions can be availed by providing the identity card issued to the war widow by the Kendriya Sainik Board (KSB).
Concessions for Gallantry Award Winners and their Widows
Winners of the gallantry awards such as Param Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Kirti Chakra, Vir Chakra and Shourya Chakra can travel in First and Second AC classes free of any charges. This concession is also applicable for the widows of gallantry award winners (along with one companion).
- Note: The concession can be availed only by showing the award certificates or a identity card issued by KSB during the booking process.
Concessions for Police Officers
Moving on from the brave people who protect our borders, to the personnel who guard our city and neighborhood. Yes, we are talking about the Police officers. There are a number of concessions and Police quotas available for them as well. The range of concession depends on the purpose of travel. The police officers traveling on duty can avail a hefty concession by submitting a booking form attested by Reserve Inspectors or Sub-Inspectors at the Headquarters along with their identity card.
- Note: The concession is not available for police personnel over the rank of an Inspector or Head Warden (in case of jail requisitions).
Concessions for Police Award Winners
President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service or Indian Police Award for Meritorious service can avail concessions for their journeys. The amount of concession is 50% for men and 60% for women.
- Note: During the booking process, passenger in question would be asked for due certificates and an attested requisition ascertaining the claim.
Concession for Widows of Police Officers
The widows of those brave police officers, who laid down their lives during action against extremists or terrorists, are offered a concession of 75% in second and Sleeper classes while journeying for any purpose.
- Note: Due credentials from the Police station in question should be furnished during the booking process.
Hope we have been able to answer your queries regarding the Defense and Police quotas or concessions.