The streets of Vadodara (or Baroda), with their array of gastronomical delights, will challenge your dieting resolve! The roads of Vadodara offer a wide variety from tasty breakfast to a filling brunch to a lip smacking dine-out. All you need, is to be a perennially hungry Hogger! So, come let us explore together food delicacies on the streets of Vadodara.
Jay Mahakali for Sev Usad
Maximilian Bircher-Benner would have forgotten his famous Muesli mix had he been to Vadodara! Yes, we are talking about spicy, lip smacking, slurp-icious breakfast ‘Sev Usad’. Sev Usad (or Sev Usal) is a proteinacious street food, popular as a staple breakfast for many Barodians. Mahakali Sev Usad, were the pioneers of this ‘break the fast’ dish that contains boiled green peas floating in a spicy Indian curry topped with onions, tomatoes, coriander and fried strands of gram flour. The dish is best relished with an empty stomach in the morning.
- Timings: 10 AM – 11 PM
- Must try: Sev Tari, Sev Usad, Cheese Masala Sev
- Cost for two: Rs. 100
- Address: 14-15, Prathamesh Complex, Opposite Nehru Bhawan,Kirti Stambh, Rajmahal Road, Mandvi
Maji Sainik for Omlet
‘Sunday ho ya monday roz khao ande!’ is a famous saying in Hindi highlighting healthy benefits of regular egg consumption. Maji Sainik would more than influence you to indluge in this healthy habit. The shop sells more than 2,000 eggs everyday! It would not be an exaggeration to say that Maji Sainik taught the Barodians to eat eggs and to savour their varieties. They can prepare so many delicious dishes with eggs. The shop was started by Haji Rajjabmiya Malangmiya Shaikh in 1955 after retiring from Indian Army. Initially, he sold only raw and boiled eggs. But soon he added omelettes and half fries to his menu. The next generation, started experimenting with eggs. Today, their business has spread across many locations in Vadodara such as Karelibaug, Manisha Chowkdi, Akota, Nyay Mandir, Malhar Point, etc. The food enthusiasts are greeted into this restaurant with a smell of caramelized onions, buns and tomatoes. The confidence of Maji Sainik is reflected in thier challenge: you can return back any dish you don’t like!
- Timings: 2 PM – 11 PM (except Fridays)
- Must try: Ande ki Pani-Puri, Maji Dream Fry, Anda Pizza, Tukda Kheema, Anamika, Malai Bhurji without onion
- Cost for two: Rs. 250
- Address: Malhar Point, Old Padra Road
Jagdish Chavana & Sweet Mart for Bhakharwadi
It was in the year 1938, Shri Raja Ratanlal Keshavlal Kandoi started his home based Indian fries and sweet mart, which has become a famous name in every Gujarati household today. Jagdish Chavana is known for its famous food discovery – the Swiss roll styled spicy Bhakharwadi. They are also famous for Lilo Chevdo, Suko Chevdo and Solapuri Chevda.
- Timings: 8 AM – 10 PM
- Must try: Bhakharwadi, Lilo Chevdo, Solapuri Chevda, Lilvani Kachori with Tea
- Cost for two: Rs. 100
- Address: 151, Society, Next to Krishna hospital, New V.I.P Road, Krishna Kunj
Vishal Sandwich for Samosa Sandwich
You may have tasted Aloo tikki chaat, Vadapav but you may have never heard about the Samosa Sandwich topped with grated cheese! If you happened to be in Vadodara, then Samosa Sandwich of Vishal is worth a drive all the way! Wow, Samosa Sandwich! It is pure alliteration; poetry in every bite! It has all the power to triangulate your heart, tongue and tummy at once. Samosa Sandwich is a roadside recipe from Mumbai. Some spicy potatoes stuffed and fried as Samosa. The Samosa in turn is stuffed between a pair of humble bread cut into four edible pieces. Vishal Sandwich has mastered this recipe over the years. Once in a while it is absolutely okay to not to think about the weight gain before eating this unique sandwich!
- Timings: 8 AM – 10 PM (closed on Sundays)
- Must try: Samosa Cheese Sandwich
- Cost for two: Rs. 60
- Address: Kashiveshwar Township, Near Swagat Restaurant, Jetalpur Road, Chikuwadi
Some other eateries to check out
- Pyarelal ni Kachori: Situated at Mangal Bazaar, this shop is famous for its spicy Kachoris, fried in the evening.
- Canara Coffee House: Located at Raopura area, the outlet is famous for Poona Missal, Hot Filter Coffee, Upma, Poha, Pineapple and Mango Sherbat.
- Freshco: This health cafe at Natubhai Circle is famous for its juices, salads, wraps and paninis.
- Ratri Bazaar: It is a consortium of 42 food-stalls situated at Karelibaug. The Bazaar is famous for street food in the midnight. One must try a colorfully crafted dessert ‘Kulfi’ or a hot cup of tea, and Khichdi and assorted Dosas.