Bags filled with perky colors and water guns loaded with mischief. Ah, thats what Holi is all about! It is that time of the year when you get immersed in the festive shades. But Holi is best enjoyed when the fun is preceeded by some special delicacies. Different regions celebrate this festival of colors in their own way, but food is always an integeral part. Be it gujiya or thandai, no one could ever escape the charm of these local delights. So, to satiate your tastebuds, we bring some of the must have Holi delicacies from across the country. Now, RailYatri gives you a chance to taste many local delights even as you take a train journey through these states. You can order these local delights through the RailYatri app and have them delivered at your train seats.
Gujiya from Uttar Pradesh
This is the star food delight of Holi! Gujiya is sweet dumplings made of maida, filled with delightful khoya & dry fruit and then deep fried in ghee or vegetable oil. Hosting a Holi party is incomplete in Uttar Pradesh without this delicacy.
Taste other food delights of Uttar Pradesh
- Must Taste: Shahi Soya Chaap Roti Combo, Keema Soya Chaap Roti Combo, Gatte Ki Subzi, Mastani Chicken Biryani
- Order from: Soya Republic (at Ghaziabad), Satvik Bhojanalaya (at Kanpur), SSJ International (at Lucknow)
Puran Poli from Maharastra
A heavenly delight, Puran Poli is a flaky crust, filled with stuffed chana dal and jaggery drizzled with ghee. This delicacy is a must have during holi festivities in Maharastra.
Taste other food delights of Maharastra
- Must Taste: Sooji ka Halwa, Veera Dhaba Special
- Order from: Khana Ghar Ka (at Solapur), Veera Da Dhaba (at Akola)
Bhang Badam Burfi from West Bengal
Holi without bhaang is impossible and so bhaag burfi is a must try when you happen to be in and around West Bengal during Holi. Bhang burfi is nothing but barfi intoxicated with bhaang and topped with almonds. The best variety is available with the Tewari Brothers Sweets. This is a tasty treat to celebrate festive zeal.
Taste other food delights of West Bengal
- Must Taste: Fish Thali, Mutton Kassa and paratha combo, Chicken Mughlai Combo
- Order from: Hot Box (at Kharagpur), Fire & Ice Foods (at New Jalpaiguri), The Royal Kitchen (at Sealdah)
Paal Payasam from Kerala
Paal Payasam is a simple yet classic Kerala delight made on almost all festive occasions. This easy-to-cook delicacy from South India will surely steal your heart with its delicious taste and rich aroma.
Taste other food delights of Kerala
- Must Taste: Chapati and Malabari Chicken, Malabar Chicken Biriyani, Fish and Chapati
- Order from: Ahar Catering Services (at Kannur)
Kanji Vada from Rajasthan
Amidst all that oily food and desserts you consume during the Holi festivities, Kanji Vada helps improve your digestive system. Specially prepared among the Rajasthani families, Kanji vada is a must have Holi delicacy. Prepared with some Indian spices, lentils and water, this dish is a perfect beverage for your holi party.
Taste other food delights of Rajasthan
- Must Taste: Mutton laal maas thali, Rajasthani thali, Dal Palak Double Tadka
- Order from: HoneyDew Restaurant (at Ajmer), Arora’s Treat (at Jodhpur)
Meanwhile, did we miss something special from your region? Toh Bura Na Mano Holi Hai!