Childhood memories are all about friends and ice creams – at least for me. I am sure many of you still treasure those memories when good result or friends’ birthdays meant an ice cream treat for all. Though many ice cream parlours have mushroomed all around, there are few iconic ones that stand testimony to their age-old popularity. So, while the scorching summer is here and making us all dizzy, let us welcome this season with open cups and cones in these iconic ice-cream parlours across India.
1. Kuremal Mohan Lal Kulfi, Delhi
This century old Kulfi joint in Old Delhi is a name to reckon with. It has been a popular haunt for both locals as well as tourists, who come from across the world to relish its many flavors. Kuremal Mohan Lal Kulfi Wale and its lineage of mouth-watering kulfis are made with 100% natural ingredients. While there is a long list of frozen delights, the most popular ones are – rabri kulfi cream, kulfi juleps and stuffed kulfi. The rabri kulfi has regular options while the stuffed kulfis include frozen fruit with kulfi stuffing. Kulfi juleps are sorbet-like options for those who prefer a little more fruit in their kulfi.
- Must try Kulfi flavors: Aam Papad, Aam Panna, Sharifa, Stuffed Mango and Jamun
- Where: 526 Kucha Pati Ram, Bazar Sita Ram, Near Chawri Bazar Metro Station, Delhi- 6
2. K. Rustom Ice Cream Parlour, Mumbai
This Iranian ice-cream parlour was established in the year 1953 by K. Rustom Irani. Having retained the classic flavors that they started out with, this is one colonial shop which has kept its original charm, besides adding popular innovations. They keep creating, tasting and adding new flavors such as paan, ginger lemon, and choco roasted almond crunch to their menu. Their iconic ice-cream is served as a thick slab sandwiched between wafer biscuits and thin butter paper and layered with bits of walnuts, caramelized sugar and pista respectively. A Mumbai visit is never complete without a visit to this iconic ice cream parlor.
- Must try Ice-cream flavors: Rum n Raisin, Peach Choco Nut and Walnut Crunch
- Where: 87 Stadium House, Veer Nariman Road, Opposite Lladro Showroom, Opposite Ambassador hotel , Churchgate, Mumbai
3. Corner House, Bangalore
Corner house was initially started as a bakery by A Narayan Rao in the year 1982 and later turned into an ice-cream parlour. Today they have 15 outlets in the city serving close to 20 flavours of ice-cream. While the chocolate variants, caramel crunch, fig and honey are the most popular, Corner House also serves milk shakes, fruit salads and cake desserts. Their endless offerings and humble staff has made this parlour a perfect go-to place for family treats.
- Must try ice-cream flavors: Death by Chocolate, Hot Choco Fudge, Cashew Fudge and Dew Drop Sundae.
- Where: Their branches are all over the city, and the oldest one has now shifted to Residency cross Road.
4. India Hobby Centre, Kolkata
One of the oldest in Kolkata, India Hobby Centre is where you would love to spend hours and relive the nostalgia of old college days. Located on the posh area of Park Street, they serve the best ice-cream in the city. They keep experimenting and introducing new flavours every now and then. Their popular items include tutty-fruity and banana sundae. A must-visit parlours in Kolkata for ice-cream lovers, you can still spot youngsters from the nearby St Xavier’s College.
- Must try ice-cream flavors: Black Forest sundae and Love at First Bite
- Where: 1A, Russel Street, Kolkata
5. Jalmahal Ice-cream Parlour, Jaipur
Jalmahal ice-cream parlour was established in 1952 by Mr Mahendra Singh and continues to hold its place despite the entry of dozens of other ice-cream joints. Jalmahal is popular as an ideal stopover for mid-night ice-cream cravings. Their unique puri bhel sundae and flavours such as Manhattan chocolate, Belgian Chocolate, Cherry Berry Sundae are to die for. This is the best place to savour delicious ice-cream with family and friends after a city trip.
- Must try ice-cream flavors: Earthquake ice-cream, Hot Chocolate Fudge, Chic Choc Sundae
- Where: Shop No 85, MI Road, Near Panch Batti, Jaipur
Tempting enough? What are your waiting for! Get ready and meet up for some ice cream treat in any of these iconic parlours.